Tigers and the Brahmadaitya


Author's Note:
This story comes from a Bengali folktale. Ghost are so prevalent in Bengali culture, that there are several types of ghosts that are responsible for different actions. It is believed that the spirits of people who could not find peace in the afterlife or died of unnatural deaths such as murder, suicide, or accident, remained on Earth.  In The Story of the Brahmadaitya by Rev. Lal Behari, a ghost is indeed a main character.  In this particular story, the "Brahmadaitya" is a ghost of a Brahman who dies unmarried. From my research, I discovered that a Braymadaitya is one of the most popular kind of ghost in Bengal and are believed to be benevolent. In this story, a poor Brahman befriends a Brahmadaitya who helps the Brahman become prosperous and in the end the Brahmadaitya's duties are accomplished and he ascends into the heavens, and everyone lives happily ever after. This story ends the same way many of the Bengali Folktales do, with the phrase "The Brahman lived happily for man years, begetting sons and grandsons."


Tigers and the Brahmadaitya

Once upon a time, there lived a poor, malnourished tiger who had a wife. He had a limp leg, and could not hunt as efficiently as most tigers. He used to beg other tigers and beasts for food, and thus he would get the measly left overs which he would share with his wife. 

It so happened that a new tiger family from the North migrated through these lands. One day while that tiger was begging for scraps of food, he ran into the the new family. 

"Do you have any left overs me and my wife could have? For you see, I have a limp leg and it is very hard for me to hunt."

The new tiger had migrated here because he was told of a certain banyan-tree in the outskirts of the woods was haunted by a number of ghost and that no man or beast had ever the boldness to go to that tree at night. In bygone days, some men had gone to that tree at night, but the necks of them all were taken by the ghost. Since that time, no man or beast had ventured to go to the tree at night. The new tiger, on hearing this, said that if anyone would go at night to the tree, cut one of its branches and bring it to him, he would present of daily helpings of prey. 

The tiger thought within himself thus, "I am almost starved to death now, as I never get my bellyful. If I go to the tree at night and succeed in cutting off one of its branches I shall have enough food for my wife and I, and we shall be able to start a family. We would be independent for life. If the ghosts kill me, my case will not be worse, for to die of hunger is no better than to be killed by ghosts."

The tiger then offered to go to the banyan-tree and retrieve a branch that night. The new tiger renewed his promise, saying "If you succeeded in bringing one of the branches of that tree at night, I will certainly make sure you have food brought to you everyday for the rest of your life."

By the end of the day, the animals of the woods heard of the new tiger's promise and the limp tigers offer. They all pitied the poor, lame tiger and blamed him for his foolhardiness, as they thought "If this beast cannot hunt for himself, surely the ghost will kill them as they had killed so many before". The tigers wife tried to convince him from going, but she could not. He told her they would both die in any case, but this was their chance at finally having a family together. One hour after sundown, the tiger set out.  

The tiger limped to the outskirts of the woods, fearless. However, once the tiger saw the banyan-tree in the distance, his heart sank. He began to shake with fear. Then out of no where a voice called out to him, "Are you afraid, Tiger? Tell me what you wish to do, and I'll help you. I am a Brahmadaitya, I mean no hard, I'm only here to help."

The tiger replied, "O blessed spirit, I wish to acquire a branch of the banyan-tree and return it to this new tiger, who promised me and my wife free prey everyday so long as we may live. Sadly, my courage is failing me, for I know of the ghost that protect that tree. If you help me,  I shall be very thankful."

The Bragmadaitya answered, "Certainly I will help you, Tiger. Walk towards the tree, and I'll protect you. For it is my duty while on this earth to help others."

The tiger, relying on the ghosts strength, walked towards the haunted tree, and began to claw at a low branch. In the first stroke, many ghosts rushed towards him, and He would have been destroyed if it weren't for the interference of his new friend who called out, "Ghosts, listen to me. This is a limp tiger who wishes to obtain a branch from this tree in order to exchange it for great use. It is my will that you allow him to take a branch."

The ghosts, hearing the words of the Brahmadaitya replied, "If it is thy will, we are willing to do anything, we will cut a branch for the tiger." And so the ghost cut down a tall, thick branch and gave it to the tiger, at which the tiger took within his jaws and ran as fast as he could back to the new tiger.

The next morning, the new tiger walked towards the haunted tree to verify the branch indeed came from that tree. They were extreme surprised, and immediately, the new tiger had his pack catch a dozen pray and bring it to the tiger and his wife. In a blink of an eye, the tiger has become a rich one.

The new tiger pack told the tiger that everyday a noon, a large helping of pray would be brought to him and his wife. The tiger jumped with joy! He was had provided for his wife, and future family, limp paw and all! The only thing that could make his life perfect was a new paw!

The tiger went to his new spirit friend, and asked him if there was anything that he could do for his paw. The Brahmadaitya replied, "Oh sweet tiger, do not be distressed, for I will fix your paw. When you wake up tomorrow it will be good as new."

The joy of the tiger was uncontainable! He could not wait to be able to walk without strife. He cuddled up with his wife, and eagerly fell asleep. When he awoke, he stretched with joy and took a few steps. He and his wife were in awe! For the first time in his life, he was full and able to walk wit ease! He looked for his new friend, for he wanted to thank him. However, the tiger could not find his new friend, for by befriending that Tiger, the Brahmadaitya's allotted period had come to an end, and he had been released from his ghostly life, and was taken up into heaven; and the tiger lived happily for many years, begetting many sons and grandsons.






The Tiger and the Brahmadaitya Source: NPR.ORG 


Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    I really enjoyed this story! You really drew me in with compassion for the limp tiger, so that it made it all the better when good things came to him! I think you are the first person I have seen who has put the author's note before the story, which was actually quite helpful. The story might be slightly easier to read if the font were a bit larger, but I like that you chose a non-standard font.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this story! I could vividly picture the scenes taking place as I was reading. My favorite part was when the tiger could walk with ease again! I was so happy for him. Haha. I also really liked the image you chose. It’s very pretty, and captures your story perfectly. I also appreciated the author’s note at the top. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 12 Story: The Fox Wife